Monday, April 7, 2014

Things This Blog Will Never Be {Probably} & Things I Hope It Might Become

Things This Blog Will Never Be...

+ a recipe resource. // If you're looking for a foodie blog with step by step instructions and lots of close-up, how-to pictures, you're in the wrong place. 

If, however, you're looking for a foodie blog that explores small restaurants and out of the way eateries, complete with photos and tips, this will be your place {someday. after I get a job and can once again afford to eat somewhere besides mi casa. *sigh* #postgradproblems}.

I love good food and I love finding new places to eat, but I'm admittedly not your best bet in the kitchen if you're hoping for some drop-dead amazing fare. My love of excellent plating and yummy ingredients doesn't necessarily translate into a desire to hone those chef skills myself. It's one of those anomalies of life. *shrugs* I do make an excellent sous/prep chef though, so if you're awesome around stoves and things and are willing to feed me, I'd be more than happy to assist/keep you company!

Also, my baking skills are decent, so I can bring the banana bread! {or funfetti cookies, or black-bottom cupcakes, or dark chocolate brownies, or apple crumble. my repetoire is somewhat limited, but at least I know what I'm good at!}

+ a diy resource. // I'm one of those people who enjoys finding or conceptualizing diy projects, but never actually does them. Unless I'm in a rare super-crafty mood. And even then, only if I already have the materials needed on-hand.

In other words, I don't do enough diy things to make it worth your while to read about them and even if I did, I'm sure there are much better tutorials out there than anything I could try to assemble. But, you never know. Maybs one day I'll wake up and BAMMM! I'm jigsawing and spray-painting and hammering with the best of them. O.o

+ a fashion blog. // *raises eyebrow at you*

I'm a fan of pretty things. If you look at my Pinterest profile, you'll notice I have a ridiculous number of pins in one specific board compared to the rest of my boards. However. If you were to look in my closet/dresser drawers, well... the clothing there doesn't quite match the type/style of clothing pinned on Pinterest.

My uniform is a t-shirt and jeans. With tennis shoes or flats, depending on how much running around I need to do that particular day. In real life, I dress according to the weather report, have to consider what clothing hides dog fur the best {thanks a lot, Zoe}, and tend to favor practical/comfortable over cute/adorable. Does anyone really want to see a fashion blog like that?

Besides. Fashion blogs inherently mean taking pictures of oneself {or finding someone to take pictures for you} and as someone who is infinitely more comfortable behind the camera than in front of it, that just doesn't quite appeal. *eek*

---

Now that I've said what this space probably won't be, here are a few things I wouldn't mind it becoming someday:

+ a foodie/adventuring guide. // Somewhere you go to when you're looking for a new place to eat or a new place to explore. Because you know I've already done the research for you and checked it out and here's the verdict. 

Since I've come home, back up to my tiny town in NorCal, and have left the easy public transit system/college friends with cars environment of Westwood, I have found it harder to go out and try new places. Not only is it difficult logistically {transportation, timing, company, cost, etc}, but just in terms of potential places to go... this is the height of suburbia. We're not exactly known for our vibrant food scene or numerous cultural hotspots.

One day, though, and hopefully soon, we can get back into the groove of adventuring decently often. In the meantime, you can check out all the adventuring that took place this past summer in LA on my Paper Lantern Lane archives.

+ a resource for good reads. // Not necessarily inspiration {a word that's used far, FAR too often in blog descriptions if you ask me}, but like, you know that if you click on a link on this blog, you'll either have a good laugh, read a thought-provoking article, or discover a blog/resource/etc that's full of good stuff. 

The Internet is a big place, and I love coming across people whose recommendations I can trust. I hope that this can be one of those spaces for you.

+ a blog with depth, creativity, and a focus on people. // You know those sites that have interviews with creative people? And you get a glimpse behind-the-scenes and into the lives of these folks whom you admire and have read about before? Or even Humans of New York, where you're reading about perfect strangers and you're still intrigued? I wouldn't mind having a series like that.

I've been thinking of starting closer to home and interviewing friends first. I've been working on my list of questions, trying to keep the list short, but informative. A nice balance of "Oh, hmm, lemme think about that," and "Yes! The answer definitely has to be..." Whimsical and thoughtful is what I'm aiming for. So we shall see. *fingers crossed*

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you-- comments brighten my day! Thanks so much for stopping by, friend! (:

{Do be forewarned that I reserve the right to remove comments that are made to intentionally hurt or provoke others, be malicious, or have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Think before you type, guys. Thanks!}