Monday, October 6, 2014

California in October // aka Winter is NOT Coming

It Drizzled, It Drizzled!

It's been well over 85 degrees in the Bay Area these last few days. When "beaches" in San Francisco hit 89, you know it's hot out there. And yet everyone else in the country is like, "AUTUMN. DROPPING TEMPERATURES. HOT BEVERAGES. FALLING LEAVES. WINTER IS COMING. SOUP."

Here in California... yeah, winter is not coming. There's even a hashtag on Instagram about it.

The besties and I were thinking about heading up to Portland for a few days after Christmas and my mother asked if any of us knew how to put on snow chains in case we ran into problems driving through the mountains. Mom. It's rained about three times since I came home last September. I know because I took a picture of the backyard every time I ran the dog, which is every day, rain or shine. It's mostly been shine. I don't think there's any snow LEFT in the mountains. We should be fine.

At night, we have to leave all the windows open until the wee hours in order to cool down the house. With no air conditioning, upstairs sometimes gets up to 83 degrees. Which doesn't feel that bad until you take a nap one Sunday afternoon and wake up feeling like you've got a 108 degree fever {don't worry, I didn't. but it FELT like it}.

It sprinkled for an hour one morning last week and IT WAS GLORIOUS. Everything smelled like rain and it was cool and clean and amazing. I actually needed my cardigan, instead of just putting it on out of habit. Maybe I should move to Seattle. I hear they have rain.

This household has been going through a lot of ice cream. It's frozen and delicious, guys. Yes, Sam, we know. But seriously, have you tried the Cookie Butter Ice Cream from Trader Joe's? I thought the hype about it was rather ridiculous and was actually hesitant about whether I liked it when we first tried it, but it's growing on me. And I'm not even that big a fan of cinnamon.

I need a haircut. I've mentioned this before, but with all this heat and the fact that my hair has gotten to that length where it gets in the way {it's elbow-length right now}, I SERIOUSLY need a haircut. I'm just waiting until I've gotten entirely annoyed with it and then I'll go get it chopped. Plus, we're in a drought and it takes way too long to get the shampoo out of my hair. Time for a bob.

Daddy and I watched the Stanford/Notre Dame football game this weekend and were SO. AMUSED. that it was 31 degrees on the field {well, technically 38, but with wind chill...}. Poor Stanford kids were probably like, "WHAT IS GOING ON." And then there was the 49er game that was 98 degrees on the field. Everyone was like, "WHAT IS GOING ON." Most of the fans on the sunny side of the stadium were like, "Can't handle." Players were like, "This is not fun."

The poor dog. She really really wants to go outside and play and run, but it's 91 degrees in the sun from 11am until 5pm, and she's wearing a pitch black double fur coat. And she's a super senior. So she lasts about seven minutes out there and then we need to come back inside for ice water and a nice long nap to recuperate. That's the life.

So that's what's going on with the weather around these here parts. To the rest of the country, I envy your cooler weather. Well, sort of. I don't want your snow storms and hurricanes and below freezing temperatures of winter. I just want our California winters back. You know, where it's only 69 degrees and it drizzles every now and then. Gee, we're spoiled...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you-- comments brighten my day! Thanks so much for stopping by, friend! (:

{Do be forewarned that I reserve the right to remove comments that are made to intentionally hurt or provoke others, be malicious, or have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Think before you type, guys. Thanks!}