Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Foodie Adventuring // Cranberry Scones

Cranberry Scones // Plated
Chocolate Scones // Plated
Chocolate Scones // Divided
Cranberry Scones // Golden Hour

I've always been intimidated by scones. All this cutting of ice cold butter and crumbly dough business... STRESS. So when Ruth and I decided to have a baking day and I said I had a TON of dried cranberries we could use and she mentioned making scones like it was NBD... I was all over that.

We went with the good ol' standby recipe from the Joy of Cooking recipe book {which is, like, in every single household everywhere}. It didn't use as much butter as I expected scones would use-- instead, they substitute cream for a lot of the fat/liquid needed. We didn't have that on hand, but Ruth's house is just a couple blocks from the grocery store, so... FIELD TRIP. And boba! Heh.

Here are my thoughts on the process:

+ There's a reason Joy of Cooking is in every kitchen. This recipe was very straightforward and easier than my scone-fearing self anticipated. Whew.

+ When they say "handle the dough as little as possible"... ehhhh. I was in charge of the first batch we made and I handled the dough all gingerly and delicately, and it didn't really mix very well. The scones turned out rather dry and crumbled easily {they tasted about the same, but the texture was slightly off}. Ruth did the second batch and ignored the instructions to limit the manhandling, and the scones turned out great! So I think as long as you don't play with the dough for ever and ever, you should be fine. MIX WELL, GUYS.

+ Sprinkle with sugar, not salt.

+ These are lighter, fluffier scones than your average store-bought scone. It might be the cream {we probably don't want to know how much butter goes into the store-bought scones... eek!}.

--

Baked Good #2 for The 23 List.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you-- comments brighten my day! Thanks so much for stopping by, friend! (:

{Do be forewarned that I reserve the right to remove comments that are made to intentionally hurt or provoke others, be malicious, or have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Think before you type, guys. Thanks!}