Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Foodie Adventuring // Easy, Quick, & Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
^ Nom nom nom... ^
So in case you haven't heard, the padre was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes right before Christmas last year {so, like, two months ago} and while he's been doing pretty well adjusting and figuring out what he can and can't eat, I know that he's missed having sweets. Joy the Baker's recipe for Flourless PB Cookies fit the bill of low carbs {no flour}, simple ingredients {just four things!}, easy to make {mix, then bake}, and dessert-like {I mean... cookies?}.

Here's what I thought:

+ The recipe is so straight-forward, you almost expect there to be a catch. Like, "It can't be this easy... whaaaat?" But no, there is no catch! If you have a peanut butter, sugar, an egg, and some baking soda in your house, YOU CAN HAS COOKIES. Bam.

+ We have both Chunky and Smooth peanut butter in our house, so I split the total amount required and used half chunky, half smooth. Personally, I think this results in a cookie that's closer to your average peanut butter cookie, since it's pretty smooth, but it still has texture and crunchy bits. If you happen to have both on hand, I'd recommend this route. {I also used half brown sugar, half regular sugar, because I'm complicated like that. It's a delicious problem to have}.

+ They store pretty well-- I made this batch on Valentine's Day and the few we've still got left taste just as great as the day-of version. Because there's no flour to hold the cookie together, they are a little crumbly coming out of the oven and stay that way after they cool. If you're a fan of crispy, crunchy cookies, these may not be for you. That being said, they aren't completely soft either, so... *shrugs*

+ We're supposed to get two dozen cookies out of this recipe, but I used a small ice cream scoop to portion out the cookies and only got thirteen {plus the small bit of batter I ate straight after mixing. it's really good...}. I also had to add about two minutes to the baking time since it's pretty hard to tell when peanut butter cookies "turn slightly brown". O.o I mean. The cookies are brown to start with. I don't understand. Oh! And they poof and spread in the oven, so don't place them too close together.

Conclusion: Excellent. Super simple to whip together, so if you're short on time and you know for sure none of the people eating these are allergic to nuts, THESE should be your go-to cookies. I'd say within twenty minutes, I went from having no cookies, to having ALL THE COOKIES. Which is infinitely better.

--

Baked Good #4 for The 23 List.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you-- comments brighten my day! Thanks so much for stopping by, friend! (:

{Do be forewarned that I reserve the right to remove comments that are made to intentionally hurt or provoke others, be malicious, or have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Think before you type, guys. Thanks!}