Friday, March 6, 2015

Foodie Adventuring // Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate Chips & Dried Cranberries


Theeese are the cookies. I'm not usually a super big oatmeal cookie fan, but they DO make me feel like I'm being a tad bit healthier than if I ate a cookie with no oats in it {even though the amount of butter and sugar is the same/more than regular chocolate chip... O.o}.

I highly recommend these. Ree Drummond's Brown Sugar Oatmeal cookies are really delicious and tweaking a few things made them even moaaar amazing. And they're pretty simple, so you should go bake these right now. *nods*

Here are my notes:

+ Grown-ups love these. Kids are wary at first {because OATMEAL cookie}, but once they realize the cookies are actually pretty sweet, they eat them up pretty quickly as well.

+ We were running a bit low on brown sugar, so I decided to try making my own via Joy the Baker's instructions. Instead of two cups of dark brown sugar, I used one cup brown sugar, one cup white sugar, and two tablespoons of dark molasses. The molasses gives the cookies a slightly deeper taste. It works.

+ I also accidentally used one teaspoon baking soda instead of half. It didn't seem to make a difference, although you should probably stick to the recipe. :P

+ I split the dough up into thirds. One third I left exactly as the recipe called for {no added whatnots}, the other two thirds I added white chocolate chips and dried cranberries. No set amounts, just what looked balanced to me. The simple oatmeal cookies had a natural sweetness and you could taste that hint of molasses; the chocolate/cranberry oatmeal cookies were much sweeter, a tiny bit more chewy {it might've just been the cranberries}, and had more varying textures. I liked both equally well, though, so it's completely up to you!

+ Instead of 12-13 minute bake time, I had to leave mine in for ~20 minutes for them to be fully baked {clean toothpick test}. They do spread a little, so give them room on the baking sheet. And instead of an estimated 24 cookies, I ended up with 36. I suppose more cookies is never a bad thing though... 

Conclusion: Yes. Will repeat. Probably split it half plain, half with extra stuff next time, since both options are great. Excellent.

--

Baked Good #6 for The 23 List.

--

Here's a picture of the brown sugar oatmeal cookies with extra things in them... can you find the Zoe? :D



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you-- comments brighten my day! Thanks so much for stopping by, friend! (:

{Do be forewarned that I reserve the right to remove comments that are made to intentionally hurt or provoke others, be malicious, or have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Think before you type, guys. Thanks!}