Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Foodie Adventuring // Semi-Secret Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookies

Semi-Secret Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookies
Semi-Secret Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookies // Being Watched

You know how some people are like, "I have The Best Recipe for chocolate chip cookies and no one else's can compare!"? Yeah, that's not me. The one thing I actively try to avoid baking is chocolate chip cookies. Because there's a standard for them and anything deviating from that standard just usually isn't as good. Honestly {and this is probably sacrilege}, my favorite chocolate chip cookies are the kind that Safeway sells for like, five bucks for a box of fifty in their bakery section. How dare you, Sam?!? I know, I know...

However, when figuring out which cookies to make for my last day at the two OT places I volunteered with, I knew I couldn't make the flourless peanut butter cookies {because PEANUT BUTTER and I don't know if anyone's deathly allergic to peanuts at either place... let's not send anyone into anaphylactic shock as my last impression, yeah?} and I didn't want to transport, like, sixty of my usual black-bottomed cupcakes.

Ree Drummond's Basic Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe looked pretty straightforward and doable. Then again, one of the reasons she's my go-to girl when I need a recipe are those two adjectives exactly. So.

Here's what I thought:

+ Not bad, not bad. Again, I'm not the biggest fan of baking my own chocolate chip cookies and after trying these when they came out of the oven, I was like, "eh. they work," which isn't the SUPER ENTHUSIASTIC response one might hope for. Both the madre and I liked the Brown Sugar Oatmeal cookies better {recap/thoughts here}. But yes, these work if you NEED chocolate chip.

+ They don't flatten out very much. So they're pretty cake-y on the inside and rather compact on the outside. I'm not sure if semi-flattening them before putting them in the oven would've helped {because they might have spread out a bit more and been a bit thinner}. Maybe next time I'll try that. 

+ I got various reactions from people after their first bite-- Mom asked if there was peanut butter in them, one of the OTs asked if I added caramel or sea salt. Apparently the semi-secret ingredient of instant coffee granules that Ree adds to her basic cookies throws people because they know they've had that mysterious taste before, but they can't place it.

+ Used all butter, all semi-sweet chocolate chips, and didn't add the optional flax seed. Suggested bake time is about right.

+ If you have any dough left over {or you're a super fan of cookie dough-- which I wasn't into until I finally tried it midway through college and was like, "WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?!?"}, it tastes amazing refrigerated. Like... ermagherd. Yes.

Conclusion: If I HAVE to bake homemade chocolate chip cookies for some reason, this recipe works. It isn't complicated, has normal people ingredients, and the semi-secret ingredient of instant coffee granules adds a bit more oomph than if they were plain chocolate chip cookies. However, if I have the option of bringing or feeding people a different type of baked good, I probably will. Chocolate chip isn't really my forte/wheelhouse/whathaveyou.

--

Baked Good #5 for The 23 List.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you-- comments brighten my day! Thanks so much for stopping by, friend! (:

{Do be forewarned that I reserve the right to remove comments that are made to intentionally hurt or provoke others, be malicious, or have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Think before you type, guys. Thanks!}